Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

50 Most Useful English Phrasal Verbs for Daily Conversation

 

Phrasal Verbs for Daily Conversation


50 Most Useful English Phrasal Verbs for Daily Conversation

If you want to speak English more naturally, learning phrasal verbs is one of the best places to start.

Native English speakers use phrasal verbs in everyday conversations all the time. You will hear them at work, at home, while shopping, when talking with friends, and even in movies and TV shows.

The good news is that you don't need to memorize hundreds of them at once. Start with the most common ones and learn how people actually use them in real conversations.

In this guide, you'll learn 50 useful English phrasal verbs with simple meanings and natural examples.

What Are Phrasal Verbs?

A phrasal verb is usually made from a verb + a small word, such as up, out, on, off, in, or away.

For example:

  • Wake up = stop sleeping

  • Find out = discover information

  • Give up = stop trying

  • Come back = return

Phrasal verbs can sometimes be confusing because their meaning isn't always obvious from the individual words.

That's why learning them in sentences is much more useful than simply memorizing a list.

50 Common English Phrasal Verbs

1. Get up

Meaning: To leave your bed after sleeping.

Example:
I usually get up at seven in the morning.

2. Wake up

Meaning: To stop sleeping.

Example:
I woke up early today.

3. Sit down

Meaning: To take a seat.

Example:
Please sit down and make yourself comfortable.

4. Stand up

Meaning: To rise to your feet.

Example:
Everyone stood up when the teacher entered the room.

5. Go out

Meaning: To leave home, usually for entertainment or another activity.

Example:
We're going out for dinner tonight.

6. Come back

Meaning: To return.

Example:
What time will you come back?

7. Go back

Meaning: To return to a place.

Example:
I need to go back home and get my phone.

8. Come over

Meaning: To visit someone's home.

Example:
Why don't you come over this weekend?

9. Hang out

Meaning: To spend relaxed or casual time with someone.

Example:
We usually hang out after work.

10. Find out

Meaning: To discover information.

Example:
I'll call the office and find out what happened.

11. Look for

Meaning: To try to find something or someone.

Example:
I'm looking for my keys.

12. Look after

Meaning: To take care of someone or something.

Example:
Can you look after my dog while I'm away?

13. Look at

Meaning: To direct your eyes toward something.

Example:
Look at this photo.

14. Look up

Meaning: To search for information.

Example:
I looked up the word in a dictionary.

15. Pick up

Meaning: To collect or lift something.

Example:
I'll pick up the package after work.

16. Put down

Meaning: To place something on a surface.

Example:
Put your phone down and listen for a moment.

17. Put on

Meaning: To dress yourself in something.

Example:
Put on your jacket. It's cold outside.

18. Take off

Meaning: To remove clothing.

Example:
He took off his shoes before entering the house.

19. Turn on

Meaning: To start a device.

Example:
Can you turn on the lights?

20. Turn off

Meaning: To stop a device.

Example:
Please turn off the TV before you leave.

21. Turn up

Meaning: To increase the volume, level, or amount.

Example:
Can you turn up the music?

22. Turn down

Meaning: To reduce the volume or level.

Example:
Could you turn down the TV?

23. Give up

Meaning: To stop trying.

Example:
Don't give up just because it's difficult.

24. Give back

Meaning: To return something to someone.

Example:
Can you give back my book tomorrow?

25. Take back

Meaning: To return something or withdraw what you said.

Example:
I took the shirt back to the store.

26. Bring back

Meaning: To return with something.

Example:
Can you bring back some milk?

27. Bring up

Meaning: To mention a topic.

Example:
She brought up an interesting idea during the meeting.

28. Call back

Meaning: To return someone's phone call.

Example:
I'm busy right now. I'll call you back later.

29. Call off

Meaning: To cancel something.

Example:
They called off the meeting because of the weather.

30. Work out

Meaning: To exercise or to find a solution.

Example:
I work out three times a week.

Another example:
Don't worry. We'll work out a solution.

31. Set up

Meaning: To arrange or prepare something.

Example:
We need to set up the meeting room.

32. Clean up

Meaning: To make a place clean and tidy.

Example:
Let's clean up the kitchen after dinner.

33. Hurry up

Meaning: To do something more quickly.

Example:
Hurry up! We're going to be late.

34. Slow down

Meaning: To do something less quickly.

Example:
Slow down. I can't understand you.

35. Calm down

Meaning: To become less angry, worried, or excited.

Example:
Take a deep breath and calm down.

36. Carry on

Meaning: To continue.

Example:
Please carry on with your work.

37. Keep up

Meaning: To continue at the same speed or level.

Example:
You're doing great. Keep up the good work!

38. Run out of

Meaning: To have no more of something.

Example:
We've run out of coffee.

39. Get along with

Meaning: To have a good relationship with someone.

Example:
I get along well with my coworkers.

40. Get over

Meaning: To recover from something difficult.

Example:
It took her a few weeks to get over the disappointment.

41. Get back

Meaning: To return.

Example:
What time did you get back last night?

42. Get in

Meaning: To enter a place or arrive.

Example:
What time did you get in?

43. Get on

Meaning: To enter a bus, train, or other form of transport.

Example:
We got on the train at eight.

44. Get off

Meaning: To leave a bus, train, or other form of transport.

Example:
We need to get off at the next stop.

45. Check out

Meaning: To look at or examine something; also to leave a hotel after paying.

Example:
Check out this new restaurant.

46. Fill out

Meaning: To complete a form.

Example:
Please fill out this form before your appointment.

47. Drop by

Meaning: To visit someone briefly, often without a long plan.

Example:
I'll drop by your office this afternoon.

48. Run into

Meaning: To meet someone unexpectedly.

Example:
I ran into an old friend at the supermarket.

49. Figure out

Meaning: To understand or solve something.

Example:
I'm trying to figure out how this works.

50. Head out

Meaning: To leave a place.

Example:
It's getting late, so I'm going to head out.

A Natural Daily Conversation

Learning phrasal verbs in conversation can make them easier to remember.

A Conversation Between Two Friends

Alex: Hey, what time did you get up today?

Sam: Around seven. I wanted to sleep in, but I had an early meeting.

Alex: How did the meeting work out?

Sam: Pretty well. We came up with a few good ideas.

Alex: That's great. Are you heading out now?

Sam: Yeah. I'm going to pick up some groceries before I go home.

Alex: Can you pick up some coffee for me?

Sam: Sure. I'll drop by your place later.

Alex: Thanks! We can hang out for a while.

Sam: Sounds good. I'll call you back when I get home.

Phrasal Verbs for Work

Some phrasal verbs are especially useful in professional conversations.

Useful Examples

Bring up — mention a topic
“Can I bring up one more point?”

Set up — arrange something
“I'll set up a meeting for tomorrow.”

Figure out — find a solution
“We need to figure out what went wrong.”

Follow up — contact someone again about something
“I'll follow up with the client tomorrow.”

Carry on — continue
“Let's carry on with the presentation.”

Look into — investigate
“We'll look into the problem.”

Work out — solve or arrange successfully
“I think we can work out a solution.”

Phrasal Verbs for Everyday Life

Here are some useful expressions you'll hear in normal conversations:

  • Wake up early

  • Get up from bed

  • Put on your clothes

  • Head out to work

  • Pick up groceries

  • Come back home

  • Clean up the kitchen

  • Turn off the lights

  • Hang out with friends

  • Go out for dinner

These phrases are simple, but using them naturally can make your English sound much more conversational.

Common Mistakes With Phrasal Verbs

Don't Translate Every Word Separately

Sometimes the meaning of a phrasal verb is completely different from the individual words.

For example:

Give up does not mean simply “give something to someone.”

It means to stop trying.

Example:
“I won't give up.”

Learn Phrasal Verbs in Sentences

Instead of memorizing:

Figure out = understand

Try remembering:

“I can't figure out how to use this app.”

This gives you both the meaning and the natural sentence pattern.

Pay Attention to Context

Some phrasal verbs have more than one meaning.

For example, take off can mean removing clothes:

“He took off his jacket.”

But it can also describe an airplane leaving the ground:

“The plane took off on time.”

The context tells you which meaning is being used.

Practice Exercise

Choose the correct phrasal verb to complete each sentence.

1. Please ______ the lights before you leave.

A) turn off
B) give up
C) run into

2. I need to ______ what time the store closes.

A) find out
B) put on
C) take off

3. Don't ______. You're almost finished.

A) give up
B) come over
C) check out

4. We have ______ milk, so I'll buy some.

A) run out of
B) get along with
C) look after

5. I'll ______ your house this evening.

A) drop by
B) turn down
C) fill out

6. I ______ an old friend at the mall yesterday.

A) ran into
B) called off
C) put down

7. Can you ______ this form?

A) fill out
B) hang out
C) head out

8. I'm trying to ______ this problem.

A) figure out
B) wake up
C) get off

9. Please ______. We're going to be late.

A) hurry up
B) give back
C) look after

10. I really ______ my coworkers.

A) get along with
B) run out of
C) call off

Answer Key

  1. A — turn off

  2. A — find out

  3. A — give up

  4. A — run out of

  5. A — drop by

  6. A — ran into

  7. A — fill out

  8. A — figure out

  9. A — hurry up

  10. A — get along with

Final Thoughts

Phrasal verbs may seem difficult at first, but they become much easier when you see them in real conversations.

Don't try to memorize all 50 in one day. Choose five or ten, practice them in your own sentences, and try using them when you speak English.

The goal isn't to use complicated English. The goal is to understand everyday English and communicate naturally.

Keep practicing, and these phrasal verbs will gradually become a natural part of your vocabulary.

Post a Comment

0 Comments